When we talk about overall health and fitness, it includes oral health as well apart from the exterior posture and interior body health. Brushing and flossing regularly do help you maintain oral hygiene but today we will talk about something that acts as a supplement and enhances the result of the regular oral hygiene maintenance routine, oil pulling. So what is oil pulling method? What is oil pulling meaning? What are the benefits of oil pulling with coconut oil or oil pulling with olive oil? What are oil pulling uses? Well, let’s find out.
Oil pulling, what? And why?
Oil pulling is the process of swishing oil (olive, sesame or coconut) in your mouth and then spitting it out. It is a three-step process; first, take one tablespoon of your preferred oil in your mouth. The second step swish it inside your mouth for sometime properly. And lastly, spit it out and wash your mouth with water thoroughly. You can do this at any time of the day. However, the most preferred time is the morning time before brushing your teeth. You can start with 4-5 minutes and then gradually increase the swishing time till 15-20 minutes for better results. Oil pulling is not an alternative for brushing and flossing, however.
Benefits of oil pulling
- Killing bacteria: Oil pulling helps in killing harmful bacteria present in our saliva that contribute to oral health issue thus preventing several problems.
- Cavity protection: Oil pulling for teeth prevents the formation of cavities as it prevents the accumulation of plaque or bacterial growth that hampers the enamel and results in a cavity.
- Teeth whitening: Though there is a lack of studies regarding this, oil pulling has shown results in removing off stains from teeth and makes them whiter.
- Remove bad breath: Bad breath is a side effect of poor oral health such as cavities, coating of tongue, issues with the gum etc. Since oil pulling helps in maintaining oral health, it removes bad breath as well.
- Prevent gum inflammation: Harmful bacteria present in the mouth may cause gingivitis which is gum disease. It results in swollen gums. Oil pulling kills bacteria responsible for gingivitis thus providing gum protection.
- Oil pulling benefits for skin: Oil pulling cut removes the toxins which when mixed with the blood and body, results in acne, rashes and dullness thus providing us with healthier skin.