Lactose intolerance is getting very common these days. Many of us have heard of the term but very few know about the actual details and problems associated with it. So why people are becoming lactose intolerant? Can you develop lactose intolerance? How many people are lactose intolerant? Let’s try finding some answers and know lactose intolerance in detail.
What is lactose intolerant?
Lactose intolerance is a condition in which an individual faces difficulties and problems in digesting lactose content of the milk leading to gastrointestinal problems. Some lactose intolerance symptoms in adults include
- Flatulence (passing of foul gas)
- Abdominal pain
Apart from these, abdominal distention, bloating and nausea may also serve as symptoms on some people.
Lactose intolerance causes
Lactose intolerance is caused when the intestine is deficient in the lactase enzyme due to which it fails in digesting lactose present in milk and milk products. This condition can be caused due to genetic reasons that are when you inherit it from your biological parents or grandparents. It can also be caused by environmental factors such as some diseases like a celiac disease; it can induce lactose intolerance in an individual as they destroy the lactase containing lining of the intestine. There are people who have the absence of lactase enzyme since birth due to some mutation. Such individual also suffer through lactose intolerance.
As we discussed previously while talking about dairy products, many people avoid milk and milk products in general and follow extreme diets. In such cases due to lack of regular use of lactase enzyme, it kind of form rust and the individual thus develop lactose intolerance.
Lactose intolerance treatment
Well if you have a doubt of being lactose intolerant, you should consult a gastroenterologist or a pediatrician for medical help. There are some things that you can try on your part too such as
- Try to avoid milk and milk products as the major source of lactose they adversely affect your condition.
- You can take supplements for lactase after consulting a professional so that they can mark out the side effects.
- You can try to develop tolerance gradually. Like start from small quantity get adapted to it and then increase the intake part by part.
- Avoid extreme diet plans that do not include milk at all if you are not lactose intolerant already.